Thursday, June 23, 2011

Homemade Bread

Homemade Bread
This week has definitely been a week of firsts for me. My first time making buttercream, my first time making royal icing, my first buttercream rose, and now, my first loaves of homemade bread.

I was reading, like all normal young people do, about how to make bread. And one website called a "humbling recipe". That it is. I have made some difficult confections in my life, but nothing can compare with fresh bread. And truly, I don't think I got this one perfect. I think I was close, but perfect and close aren't the same thing.

It was supposed to be a simple white bread. It is more like a sourdough bread. The crust is a bit more firm and the bread a lot more dense. But it doesn't taste like sourdough. It tastes like dense white bread.

So, I think that I did a pretty good job on my first bread. It wasn't until I had already decided to make this from scratch that my Mom said "Ryan, we have a bread making machine," and I retorted "I don't need a machine, I am a machine." I opened the cabinet and looked at the bread machine during the process. I felt it laughing at me. Taunting me with its experience of bread making. Well bread machine, look at me now. You have been replaced.

Until next time,

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment