Sunday, June 19, 2011

Oreo Buttercream Cupcakes

Oreo Buttercream Cupcakes
 I decided that for my first post on this blog I would try something I've never been brave enough to do: make my own buttercream... from scratch. 

I wasn't brave enough to go into this blindly. A few people I work with have made buttercream and gave me some advice, and with a few extra splashes of milk and a little extra powdered sugar I did it.  

I wanted to give my buttercream a little something extra. I decided that I would crush Oreo cookies and blend them into the buttercream. At first the crushed cookie pieces disappeared, they were there... just to small to notice. So I took to adding more, this time not quite as crushed. That helped. It reminded me of a cookies-n-cream ice cream. I took the cupcakes to work for a Father's Day Party and they received rave reviews, so in general I'm happy. 

The only thing I wish I could do over would be to use a piping bag and large tip to frost them. I started using one but the added cookie pieces made it nearly impossible for the buttercream to go through the tip, so I resorted to a good ole' fashioned inverted spatula. 

An easy recipe to start me off. I am no where near an "experienced baker." But for now I'm content to say that I am merely an "adventurous baker."

Until next time, 

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment