Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Purple & White Buttercream Cake

Purple & White Buttercream Cake

This is my first of what I suspect will be MANY cakes. It was a two day process, the first day was me practicing roses and practicing making buttercream frosting. I've nailed the buttercream. Got that down pat. The roses, on the other hand, are proving to be a bit more difficult. They look more like blooming cabbage to me, but I've always been a little critical of my own work. I'm taking a decorating class in July to expand my talents in the cake industry. The first class covers roses, but I wanted to get the leg up. So I went to the one place that could teach you how to do anything... youtube. And with little to no guidance I managed to make six globs of buttercream that resemble some sort of flower.

One problem that I'm running into is finding occasions for which to bake. You can only convince people that "I made a cake because it is Tuesday" so many times without looking like you've lost it. But, luckily for me Wednesday is my no-other-reason-to-bake-than-because-its-Wednesday day. My parents host a small group Bible study at our house three Wednesdays out of the month. And every Wednesday I take that opportunity to bake something for the fellowship time that follows. 

They think I do it to be nice, and I do. But I have my own motives. I, not so secretly, use them as a testing group for icing, cake flavors, and other odd recipes. Turns out the group is filled with a medley of talented bakers who are looking to help me out. All-in-all they are a pretty great bunch of people... who we force feed my attempts at confectionary greatness. But, they don't seem to mind, they all come back week after week. 

 And, for the record, I am the Mayor of Small Group... even though I don't attend, thank you FourSquare. 

Until next time, 

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment